background

Thursday, April 22, 2010

This is me--at 30.

Ready or not, it is here. I realize that it's a relative age, but it feels as though I've been "twenty-something" forever, so 30 just feels and sounds OLD. I had a great 20's decade and experienced some pretty wonderful things. A blogger that I follow is turning 30 soon as well and she recently recapped her 20's on her blog, which inspired me to do the same. Here goes:

At 20 I had completed half of my college education and moved into my first apartment with my wonderful friend Beth. We also took a huge spring break trip to Orlando, FL that year with a bunch of our college friends--even though I was the only one "not quite 21," we had a great time.

At 21 I got engaged to a wonderful guy--he asked me onstage at a concert in front of an auditorium full of people. It was truly a memorable moment.

At 22 I was married to my best friend--we had a beautiful day and a great party afterwards. We were surrounded by hundreds of our closest friends and family members...exactly how I'd always dreamed my wedding day would be. We then spent a week in Jamaica...paradise!!

At 23 I graduated college at FHSU, moved back to Mac and started my first "real" full-time job. With a real job and a rental house came real bills--I realized that perhaps being a kid wasn't so bad after all.

At 24 I traveled with some of my best girlfriends from college to New York City, Boston and Rhode Island. Big city shopping, good food, lots of laughs, and an appearance on the Today Show--what a great trip! This was also the year that Chris and I made the big decision to build a house.

At 25 we moved into our first (owned) home. We would spend countless hours painting, tiling, sheetrocking, building, etc. to make it "ours." Little did we know that we would find some of our greatest friends in this new neighborhood. I got my first dSLR camera (easily taking 8,000+ pictures that first year) and found out we were going to have our first baby.

At 26 we welcomed our first little miracle into the world, Carter Jace. I'm pretty sure this was the first year that I truly became an "adult."

At 27 we took our little guy on his first airplane ride and his first trip to the ocean. We spent 5 days in sunny Florida and enjoyed every minute of our mid-winter vacation.

At 28 I had my 10-year reunion, found out we would be adding another little boy to our family and welcomed the second great love of our lives, Asher Kade.

At 29 I ran my first 5K, started this blog, enjoyed a heavenly spa day with some fabulous friends to celebrate our impending "Big 3-0" and adjusted to life with two kiddos.

Many, many more wonderful things happened in my 20's--those were just a few highlights.
And here I sit today at 30. I'm not gonna lie--I've experienced a little anxiety over this new decade I'm entering. It's not like I can really avoid it though, so I guess I might as well embrace it. Several wise people have told me that the 30's are even better than the 20's. I had a pretty fantastic 20's, so that's a tall order. If the 30's contain more solid friendships (and maintaining the old ones), crazy, wild, happy days with my kids and hubby, sunny vacations and tons of laughs, then bring it on.

Welcome 30, please be good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment